Monday, January 19, 2009

Square To Be Hip

I'm not a background actor, OK? But a guy's gotta eat, so here I am. Fortunately, I was able to find an outlet (an electrical one, not a creative one - it's background work) and an unsecured WiFi network, so I'm able to do some online work, check my e-mail, tend to my Facebook and MySpace pages, and this. I submitted myself in several categories on this project - producer, business traveler, etc. - but I got called in today as a hipster hanging out at a Silverlake coffee shop. This startled me a little, as I thought my hipster eligibility had expired a few years ago. In any case, that particular subculture kind of passed me by - along with grunge, emo, and whatever subcultures have arisen in the past 15 or so years. Googling "silverlake hipster wear" showed me that apparently the hipster species comes in many varieties. The only common denominator I could see was tight pants. Plaid seemed fairly common too. So here I am in my tightest pants and plaidest shirt, staring at the crafts-services table, afraid that if I eat something I might pop a button.

No comments: