Monday, January 23, 2012

The Week in Sabers

Thursday I was surrounded by geeks waving light sabers. Saturday I was with a room full of fencers waving sabers of a more traditional kind. All part of my New Year's resolution to meet new people and do new things.

First came pub trivia with Geeks Who Drink. My team was at a bit of disadvantage with some of the 21st-century pop trivia questions, but when it came to naming the metal grate that barred access to a medieval castle,* we were aces. After briefly being in the top 10, we ended up No. 11 for the evening (out of 14). A less than stellar debut for me, I admit, but that just means there's room for improvement next time.

Then I got in touch with my inner swashbuckler at Laguna Fencing Center. Actually, I confirmed my suspicion that I wouldn't last long in a real pirate battle, but with blunted blades and protective gear and comparably unskilled opponents, it was a lot of fun.

No comments: