Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Character/Sketches

It's not a sure thing, but I may have a chance soon to direct a play of my choosing. It would probably be a classical piece (that is, pre-1923) so royalties wouldn't be an issue. Of course I'd want to put myself in a major role, but therein lies the rub. How can I be sure I haven't miscast myself before it's too late? Usually when I'm acting, I have the comforting thought that someone else thought I was appropriate for the part (and I try not to think about the dozen more-appropriate people who might have turned down the gig). But to rely on nothing but my own judgment and talent is an entirely different matter. Here are some characters I may be inappropriate for: Lear (too young), Cleopatra (too male), and Othello (too white). But I could use some help coming up with the perfect part. While you're puzzling over that, remember that I'll be appearing in "The Second Best Sketch Comedy Show Ever!" (co-written by me), Fridays at 8 p.m., Sept. 15 - Oct. 6, Second Stage at El Ranch Plaza, 431 N. Brookhurst, Suite 140, Anaheim, Calif. Admission $15 cash at the door.

No comments: