Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Why Haven't You Called?

I had fun. I thought you did too. Did I do something wrong? Was it something I said? Were you only pretending to like me? Did you want to see how far I would go? Was it just some kind of game to you? I’m sorry, I don’t mean to sound like that. It’s just, I think we could have had something really special. We still can, if you’ll pick up the phone and call. OK, maybe it’s too soon. Maybe you’ll call in a couple of days. But why not now? I mean, if you want me, why do we have to play around like that? Don’t you want me? What’s wrong with me? If you let me know, I’ll fix it. I know I came on sort of strong, but I just wanted it so badly. I’ll take it at your pace, be whatever you want me to be. Or did you decide to go with someone younger? Better-looking? How can you be so shallow? If you give me a chance, you’ll see how happy I can make you. I know I’ll never hear from you again. You forgot all about me as soon as that other one walked in the room. Don’t think I didn’t notice. So that’s your type? Whatever. You’re all the same. No, I didn’t mean it. Maybe you don’t realize how much I care. Maybe I should call you, just to say thanks and wish you the best. What am I thinking? That would probably creep you out and I’d lose whatever chance I have. Do I have a chance? Why don’t you call? I don’t need you anyway. I’ll find someone else who wants me. Someone who'll give me something deeper and more meaningful than cheap thrills and good times. You’ll see. Are you going to call or not? (Yeah, the audition is fun, but the next day sucks!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because every time I call you, I get your voice mail (and it really sucks talking to a recording). Dude, are you like this after every audition? Very scary. I think I may have just found the fifth act for Shadow Zone 2006.

Keith said...

Uh, Bart... you do know you're not the one whose call I'm waiting for, right? That would be someone who appreciates irony, satire, hyperbole, metaphor and call screening. But I have to admit, the thought of a five-act Shadow Zone is pretty scary.

Anonymous said...

It was supposed to be a joke. It's really hard to convey sarcasm over the internet. Sorry.

Meegs said...

I totally wanted to pick up the phone and say "I'll call you Keith!" thats such an awesome relationship/audition metaphor. I guess thats why you're the writer.